Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware! Amtrak & RRB
A word of caution to anyone getting ready to retire from Amtrak.

No matter how much advanced planning you do, and how extensive it may be, rest assured Amtrak and the Railroad Retirement Board will screw it up beyond anything you could possibly imagine.

I retired from Amtrak on March 29, 2016, with 28 years of service, and, 10 years previous to Amtrak with the SP.

I contacted the RRB well in advance and advised them I was going to retire. I was supposed to get my first annuity check in April.  It didn’t happen.

It seems that Amtrak failed to send the RRB the necessary paperwork.  After numerous calls to the Amtrak Benefit Center they finally sent the required documents to the RRB four weeks later, delaying my check by one month.

Amtrak not only managed to screw up my annuity check, the also failed to send to the RRB the necessary proof of insurance documents needed to obtain my Medicare Part A & B causing additional delay.

Amtrak also failed to send me the necessary document regarding Cobra Coverage, (health insurance)

By the time I received the paperwork the enrollment period for Cobra Coverage had expired.

So due to Amtrak’s incompetence I had no health insurance, and, there wasn’t anything I could do about it but bitch and moan to the Benefits Center, which was liking talking to a pigs ass.  No one in that department, including supervisors, could give a damn about employees.  They just don’t care, and they don’t want to be bothered.

Every time I contacted the Benefits Center, which by the way is not an Amtrak office, but rather a vendor that Amtrak contracts with, they couldn’t give a shit either, and, couldn’t find their own ass with either hand.  You never get to speak with the same person twice, and you have to relate the entire story over and over again, and, every time the response you get is different.

I didn’t get a check until June 1, over sixty days late.

To date, I still don’t have any medical insurance because the RRB only updates their system when they feel like it, and since March 29 they haven't felt like it.

I attempted to obtain a Supplemental Health Insurance Policy, from Aetna, the same insurance company the insured me through Amtrak up till the date of my retirement, but was advised they could not initiate a new policy until proof of my previous coverage through Amtrak was provided to the RRB, which also handles Medicare for railroad retirees.

It is now June 22 and I still don’t have any Medical insurance because of all the delays on Amtraks part in providing proof to the RRB.

After nearly 30 years with Amtrak I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised by the level of incompetence, and the total lack of concern displayed by all the departments you have to deal with related to retirement.

What did shock me was the level of incompetence and the “we don’t give a shit about you attitude”, expressed by everyone I contacted at the RRB.

Between Amtrak and the Railroad Retirement Board no higher level of incompetence has ever been achieved, and its a disgrace that retirees are treated in this manor, and keep in mind there is absolutely nothing you, or anyone else, can do about it.

When I related my troubles to my Congressman, who happens to be my cousin, he just laughed and said “ Amtrak and the RRB! Those people don’t pay any attention to, or give a shit about anything or anybody. Fat chance getting any resolution there!”

So, be warned!  It may not happen to you however, I have spoken to several retirees in the last several weeks and they all had horror stories to tell.

In the words of John Harris, Supervisor at the Railroad Retirement Board, “ We are understaffed and backlogged,  and that’s as good as its going to get for the foreseeable future, so plan accordingly”!

I told the son of a bitch that had I been advised in advance how screwed up they were I could have planned accordingly, but nobody tells you that your going to get screwed over on a continuous basis by the RRB,  and that they will get around to you whenever the hell they feel like it.

Personally, I hope they all get ass cancer and die a horrible death!

Damn!   Shows you what three months of harassment and bureaucratic bullshit will do to you.
I used to be a nice guy and would never have wished that on anyone.
Rest assured that top management have had no problems getting everything (they think) is owed to them and their families!
This is kinda like our veterans being told they have to wait for care and benefits for months or years after they have fought to protect us and Rotten Scum Illegal Invaders and their Spawn are rushed to the head of the line at taxpayer expense and no limit on how much care they can get!!
Makes me wana puke! and pray I hit the lottery before I pull the pin
(06-24-2016, 02:55 PM)Amtk237 Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 01:38 PM)Stugots Wrote: A word of caution to anyone getting ready to retire from Amtrak.

No matter how much advanced planning you do, and how extensive it may be, rest assured Amtrak and the Railroad Retirement Board will screw it up beyond anything you could possibly imagine.

I retired from Amtrak on March 29, 2016, with 28 years of service, and, 10 years previous to Amtrak with the SP.

I contacted the RRB well in advance and advised them I was going to retire. I was supposed to get my first annuity check in April.  It didn’t happen.

It seems that Amtrak failed to send the RRB the necessary paperwork.  After numerous calls to the Amtrak Benefit Center they finally sent the required documents to the RRB four weeks later, delaying my check by one month.

Amtrak not only managed to screw up my annuity check, the also failed to send to the RRB the necessary proof of insurance documents needed to obtain my Medicare Part A & B causing additional delay.

Amtrak also failed to send me the necessary document regarding Cobra Coverage, (health insurance)

By the time I received the paperwork the enrollment period for Cobra Coverage had expired.

So due to Amtrak’s incompetence I had no health insurance, and, there wasn’t anything I could do about it but bitch and moan to the Benefits Center, which was liking talking to a pigs ass.  No one in that department, including supervisors, could give a damn about employees.  They just don’t care, and they don’t want to be bothered.

Every time I contacted the Benefits Center, which by the way is not an Amtrak office, but rather a vendor that Amtrak contracts with, they couldn’t give a shit either, and, couldn’t find their own ass with either hand.  You never get to speak with the same person twice, and you have to relate the entire story over and over again, and, every time the response you get is different.

To date, I still don’t have any medical insurance because the RRB only updates their system when they feel like it, and since March 29 they haven't felt like it.

I attempted to obtain a Supplemental Health Insurance Policy, from Aetna, the same insurance company the insured me through Amtrak up till the date of my retirement, but was advised they could not initiate a new policy until proof of my previous coverage through Amtrak was provided to the RRB, which also handles Medicare for railroad retirees.

It is now June 22 and I still don’t have any Medical insurance because of all the delays on Amtraks part in providing proof to the RRB.

After nearly 30 years with Amtrak I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised by the level of incompetence, and the total lack of concern displayed by all the departments you have to deal with related to retirement.

What did shock me was the level of incompetence and the “we don’t give a shit about you attitude”, expressed by everyone I contacted at the RRB.

Between Amtrak and the Railroad Retirement Board no higher level of incompetence has ever been achieved, and its a disgrace that retirees are treated in this manor, and keep in mind there is absolutely nothing you, or anyone else, can do about it.

When I related my troubles to my Congressman, who happens to be my cousin, he just laughed and said “ Amtrak and the RRB! Those people don’t pay any attention to, or give a shit about anything or anybody. Fat chance getting any resolution there!”

So, be warned!  It may not happen to you however, I have spoken to several retirees in the last several weeks and they all had horror stories to tell.

In the words of John Harris, Supervisor at the Railroad Retirement Board, “ We are understaffed and backlogged,  and that’s as good as its going to get for the foreseeable future, so plan accordingly”!

I told the son of a bitch that had I been advised in advance how screwed up they were I could have planned accordingly, but nobody tells you that your going to get screwed over on a continuous basis by the RRB,  and that they will get around to you whenever the hell they feel like it.

Damn!   Shows you what three months of harassment and bureaucratic bullshit will do to you.

Hey Stugot, are you a Trainman or Hogger??? If you are and you retired at 60 with 30 years or more paid into RRTA then Amtrak will provide you with "Early Retiree Medical Plan" through Union Agreement. Contact: http://www.yourtracktohealth.com click on the retiree icon when you find it and call the 800 number. They will talk to you and answer all your questions. It's ran by United Health Care for all the railroads and you will need secondary ins. and they will give you the best one through them. They are the best and most compatible with Aetna's Amtrak coverage from my research. You don't have the time to hear my story, much like yours, of how I found out how to get ins. If you haven't had the proper forms filled out by Amtrak, call your General Manager's office and talk to the GM's secretary and he/she should follow up and get the proper paperwork done and tell you who needs to do what if there are forms to be filed he/she can't progress the process. If there are paper work barriers for that secretary it's because of the incompetence of your crew base supervisor, the trainmaster and/or road foreman. If you are a Clerk or On Board Service employee, I believe the agreement is the same but to be sure call your Local Chairmen or your General Chair and get the info on what the agreement says. I think Amtrak stonewalls on purpose to save money. However, you should have coverage even if it's Medicare for over 65. FYI, I got 3 days off for attendance issues and was advised of the suspension in the trainmasters office on employee appreciation day. I told the charging officer and my trainmaster by mail I had ADA disabilities months before the charges were filed and gave them permission to access my Medical Records in the "Medical Department" in Washington to prove it. They ignored that and persecuted me anyway. Fuck the Amtrak Management!!!!!!!
(06-28-2016, 05:39 PM)George Crago Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 02:55 PM)Amtk237 Wrote:
(06-22-2016, 01:38 PM)Stugots Wrote: A word of caution to anyone getting ready to retire from Amtrak.

Hey Stugot, are you a Trainman or Hogger??? If you are and you retired at 60 with 30 years or more paid into RRTA then Amtrak will provide you with "Early Retiree Medical Plan" through Union Agreement. Contact: http://www.yourtracktohealth.com click on the retiree icon when you find it and call the 800 number. They will talk to you and answer all your questions. It's ran by United Health Care for all the railroads and you will need secondary ins. and they will give you the best one through them. They are the best and most compatible with Aetna's Amtrak coverage from my research. You don't have the time to hear my story, much like yours, of how I found out how to get ins. If you haven't had the proper forms filled out by Amtrak, call your General Manager's office and talk to the GM's secretary and he/she should follow up and get the proper paperwork done and tell you who needs to do what if there are forms to be filed he/she can't progress the process. If there are paper work barriers for that secretary it's because of the incompetence of your crew base supervisor, the trainmaster and/or road foreman. If you are a Clerk or On Board Service employee, I believe the agreement is the same but to be sure call your Local Chairmen or your General Chair and get the info on what the agreement says. I think Amtrak stonewalls on purpose to save money. However, you should have coverage even if it's Medicare for over 65. FYI, I got 3 days off for attendance issues and was advised of the suspension in the trainmasters office on employee appreciation day. I told the charging officer and my trainmaster by mail I had ADA disabilities months before the charges were filed and gave them permission to access my Medical Records in the "Medical Department" in Washington to prove it. They ignored that and persecuted me anyway. Fuck the Amtrak Management!!!!!!!

I was a Hog Head.  

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Fuck Amtrak Management!!  When I die I'm coming back and haunt those assholes!
You are welcome.