Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Train 4 derailment
Trying to wrap my head around the derailment today. I've been told how dangerous it might be to plug a train on a curve because it might derail. Train 4, supposedly, was plugged on straight track. What keeps going through my head is that the rear half of the train derailed and not the front half. Ok so derailments happen on straight track too but why not the front of the train. If in fact there was a bend in the track, would that not have derailed the front half?
It's the luck of the draw
#7 went on the ground, back in the 90's, pictures showed the power and two bag cars stayed on the tracks but most of the consist was on the ground and on their sides
This happened in the middle of a hot summer when the rails curled up (clips failed to hold rails in place)
They interviewed the head end crew and they said it was a rough ride, rails looked like spaghetti, they braked hard but did not plug it, and they were very surprised the entire consist didn't go on the ground
#1 back in the 90's east of Garnet the power, bag and transition got thru a broken rail at track speed then the rest went on the ground.
Same thing with #4, you just don't what will go on the ground or what will stay on the rails
(04-21-2016, 02:34 PM)Amtk237 Wrote: It's the luck of the draw
#7 went on the ground, back in the 90's, pictures showed the power and two bag cars stayed on the tracks but most of the consist was on the ground and on their sides
This happened in the middle of a hot summer when the rails curled up (clips failed to hold rails in place)
They interviewed the head end crew and they said it was a rough ride, rails looked like spaghetti, they braked hard but did not plug it, and they were very surprised the entire consist didn't go on the ground
#1 back in the 90's east of Garnet the power, bag and transition got thru a broken rail at track speed then the rest went on the ground.
Same thing with #4, you just don't what will go on the ground or what will stay on the rails

Thanks Curly (your avatar...) I appreciate the input.