Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NOBODY SHOWED US HOW
Amtrak train #21 experienced a blown air hose while in route from Chicago. The hose between the baggage car and the dorm car had rotted out and split causing a big air leak, not enough to put the train into emergency but just enough to apply the air brakes gradually stopping the train.

The air hose need to be replaced however no pipe wrench or spare hose could be located on the engine, or anywhere else on the train.

Unfortunately the train had come to a stop in a very remote area, no access to the train by road.

The Engineer advised the Conductor to “cut out the trucks” so he could move the train to the next siding where Mechanical Forces could get to the train.

Both the Conductor and Assistant Conductor were relatively new employees, who’s training consisted mostly of rules and revenue, and had no idea what the Engineer was talking about when he said “cut out the trucks”.

Although the Engineer attempted to instruct the Conductors via radio, neither of them were able to successfully cut out the brakes on the affected cars so the train could be moved.

Four hours later mechanical forces showed up on ATVs and made the repair.

When the Road Foreman, who also responded to the scene asked the Conductors why they hadn’t cut out the trucks both of them said “they were never instructed how to do that”.

Later, the Road Forman determined that in fact there had been no practical experience or instruction given regarding making up a train, lacing up hoses, troubleshooting air problems, etc. given during the course of their initial student classes.

Amtrak teaches them how to punch a ticket, but doesn't instruct them how to handle emergencies on the road.

When the chief instructor was asked about the situation he replied, “We only have the new hires for so many days and Rules and Revenue are more important than “railroading”.

Words to live by on a railroad. Paper work is more important than knowing how to operate a train.

Only on Amtrak!
I had a train where the hose came apart and a new one had to be put on. I gave the conductor a new hose and brake pipe wrench and he tried using the wrench backwards. I had to show him how to use It properly. The hose would not budge so I told him to try heating it up with a fusee. I handed him a fusee and he asked me how do you light it. I could not believe it. They sure are not any better now days in training then they were back then.
test reply by admin after update
(11-17-2015, 02:23 PM)mikeamick Wrote: test reply by admin after update

test